Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Mahoning County / 26-50 St. Augustine Episcopal Chapel [12]

Title, side A
St. Augustine Episcopal Chapel
Text, side A
St. Augustine Episcopal Chapel was founded by Lenora Evans Berry, an African American woman, in 1907. A lifelong Baptist, her mission was the development of the Episcopal Church for African Americans in Youngstown. Mrs. Berry's husband, bricklayer Thomas D. Berry, the son of master builder P. Ross Berry, became the church's first senior warden and treasurer. The congregation met in St. John's Parish until they were able to obtain property on Parmalee Avenue. In 1912, Reverend John Ogburn was officially called to vicar. In 1920, work began on plans for a new church. The structure was designed by Charles F. Owsley and construction began after more than six hundred individuals from the community attended the laying of the church's corner stone on September 11, 1921. St. Augustine Chapel is the oldest African American church and congregation in Youngstown still in its original location and structure.
Address
614 Parmalee
Youngstown, OH 44501
Location
St. Augustine Episcopal Chapel, 614 Parmalee
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.0690500, Longitude: -80.3955000.
Google map: