Remarkable Ohio

Serpent Mound Marker

Home / Mahoning County / 25-50 Canfield Township Hall [7]

  • 25-50 Canfield Township Hall 25-50 Canfield Township Hall
  • 25-50 The Setting 25-50 The Setting
  • 25-50 Marker #25-50 25-50 Marker #25-50
  • 25-50 Another View 25-50 Another View
  • 25-50 Canfield Township Hall 25-50 Canfield Township Hall
  • 25-50 Hall 25-50 Hall
  • 25-50 Marker 25-50 Marker
Title, side A
Canfield Township Hall
Text, side A
The Canfield Township Hall was erected in 1884. It served as the first public building in which the Canfield citizens could conduct town business, elections, and public meetings. An example of Renaissance Revival or "Italianate" architecture, the building is typical of late Victorian commercial buildings, but constructed of wood rather than of the customary brick. Drafted by Colonel S. Kinney, it was originally constructed for the sum of $2,389 by G.W. Strock at the corner of South Broad and East Main streets, on a lot purchased for $500. In 1936, R.J. Neff moved the hall several hundred feet south to its present location. In addition to official township meetings, the second floor has been used for a variety of activities, including social meetings, lectures, contests, dances, and roller-skating. The building served as an early home of the Canfield Historical Society and operated continuously for over one hundred and twenty-five years.
Address
21 S Broad Street
Canfield, OH 44406
Location
Canfield Township Hall, 21 S Broad Street
Coordinates
Latitude: 41.014490, Longitude: -80.456090.
Google map: